Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Things We Love - Letter N





Quinn - Nail Polish



Quinn is obsessed with nail polish. She loves to paint her nails and toenails fun and bright colors.  Most often she wants each finger to be a different color or to have some type of pattern to it.  I don’t mind painting her nails, and to be honest they look so good when they are finished. Not because I am an expert painter (far from it!), but because she has the dirtiest fingernails you've ever seen on a 5 year old girl!  I don’t know what she does, but her polish always comes off shortly after painting them.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe it’s her playing too rough.  I don’t know – but needless to say, you often see her with half a hand painted at one time! 

My favorite nail polish story with Quinn happened a couple of years ago.   She received some blue fingernail polish as a gift from someone.  Without us knowing it, Quinn decided that she could paint her own toenails during naptime one day.  I would never have found out b/c her toes and her fingers were not blue.  She had decided that she didn’t like the color and instead of telling us or using a Kleenex to wipe it off, she decided to wipe her toes off on the carpet!!  That’s right – we had a streak of blue carpet from Quinn’s toes!  She was not the most popular person in the house that day and from then on, nail polish has been guarded and watched A LOT more closely!!!


Sullivan - Neigh Neighs



For as long as I can remember, Sullivan has been infatuated with horses, which she calls ‘neigh neighs’.  She can spot them from a mile away – on TV, on toy shelves, in books and on the road.  We have a horse farm not far from our house that we pass by almost every day.  She has to take a tally to see if all 5 horses are there. Then she reports the activities of the horses…. two neigh neighs in time out (in a separate corral than the rest), one neigh neighs eating gwass (grass) and one neigh neigh pooping.  She is obsessed with horses pooping. Lovely, I know!

Ryan - Notre Dame


(Touchdown Jesus - outside of Notre Dame Stadium)

As I’ve talked about in earlier posts, Ryan is in love with his Notre Dame Fighting Irish – has been for quite some time.  This time of the year, his weekend plans revolve around the Irish’s football schedule.  His eagerness to do yard work or handy projects around the house diminishes some too.  He is tuned in to the TV – along side Sullivan who is his football watching partner!


Audra - Naps


I am a fan of naps – for my children, for me and for my sanity.  There is nothing better than curling up in the chair on a Saturday afternoon, pretending to watch football or baseball (or whatever is on TV at the time), and taking a snooze.  It does my body and mind good to get that rest.  Ryan doesn’t understand this – he thinks naps are silly.  He thinks that there are other things that need to get done around the house.  I agree – there are plenty of other things that are more productive to do than napping.  However on Saturday afternoon when I am faced with doing laundry around the house, picking up a mess, or taking a nap… the nap wins out!!!  I justify the naps by telling myself that I am a much better mom and wife if I give my body what it’s asking for – sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment